Underwater Breathing is an ability that permits its users to inhale submerged. This might be refined through the use of gills, scuba hardware, making air pockets within water, or in any case discovering techniques to inhale submerged. Rarely, users might have the option to inhale within different fluids too, like magma or blood.
This varies from Self-Sustenance in that characters actually need to inhale, however can receive the oxygen they need to inhale from water.
This ability may be applied by those who live underwater, or frequently go underwater. In a combat situation, it can be used to evade an opponent that cannot breathe underwater, or to drown them.
Type 1 (Physiological Water-Breathing): User has gills or other physiological traits that allow them to breathe underwater, but not outside of it.
- Examples: Great White Shark, Spongebob Squarepants, Giant Squid
Type 2 (True Natural Breathing): User can breathe both in water and outside of it.
- Examples: Aqua (Konosuba), Bowser, The Monster
Type 3 (Breathing with Equipment): User can breathe underwater through external equipment, such as a scuba tank.
- Examples: Ryley Robinson, Sandy Cheeks, Alex the Lion
Type 4 (Breathing via Air Manipulation): User can create an air pocket in order to breathe underwater.
- Examples: Anos Voldigoad, The Player (Minecraft)
- Users may not be able to breathe outside of water, or have limited breathing ability outside of water.
- Users may need to create an air pocket inside of water in order to breathe.
- Users may need to return to the water after being on land for an extended period of time due to dry skin or to restore their abilities.