|“||Crimes are committed by people. There are no crimes without a heart. I'll never accept a theory that neglects the heart.||„|
|~ Willard H. Wright|
Willard H. Wright is a character in Umineko no Naku Koro Ni. He is the former First-Class Archbishop and Head Inquisitor of Heresy of the SSVD.
He was formerly a young ace inquisitor who was cold, ruthless, and flashy. This led his name to be easily recognizable and feared across many witches that he earned the nicknames of 'Wizard-Hunting Wright' and 'Wright of the Twenty Wedges'. However at some point, his work attitude changed. He grew malcontent with the SSVD's brutal standards and disregard for the heart of a crime. He is now quite fickle, alternating between laziness and obsessive bursts of energy regarding mere trifles.
He is an outsider to Beatrice's game board, however he was invited in by the Witch of Miracles, Bernkastel, to help solve a mystery, 'Who Killed Beatrice?' A question that leads him getting involved with the mysteries of Rokkenjima and meeting a certain Lion Ushiromiya.
Powers and Stats
Tier: 8-C, Low 1-C in the Higher Order World | 1-A
Dimensionality: 3-D, 6-D in the Higher Order World | Inapplicable
Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Weapon Mastery, Teleportation, Limited Light Manipulation, Mind Manipulation (The Theatergoing Authority allows him to force others to tell the truths or make people do what he asks for), BFR (Can transport himself and another person to a different world where they will speak the truth and it can be visualized), Dimensional Travel (Can travel to higher dimensions), Immortality (Types 1 and 2), Non-Physical Interaction, Red and Blue Truths
All previous to greater extents, Abstract Existence (Type 1; a personification of Van Dine's Commandments), Reality Warping, Non-Corporeal, Higher-Dimensional Existence and Dimensional Manipulation (Type 2), Large Size (Type 10), Acausality (Type 4), Space-Time Manipulation, Subjective Reality (His sword separates truth and fiction), Resistance to Conceptual Manipulation (Type 1; Due to being superior to Dlanor in terms of witch hunting, he should be able to resist truth stakes like she did),
All previous abilities to greater extents, Magic, Reality Warping, Resurrection, Non-Physical Interaction (Capable of killing Clair, who is an aspect of Beatrice), Beyond-Dimensional Existence (Type 2), Transduality (Type 2. Completely transcendent of all concepts of the Human Domain, including all of its dualities), Dimensional Manipulation (Type 2; Can manipulate Kakera, which contain infinite possibilities and higher dimensions), Dimensional Travel (Upon killing Clair, he left the game board of Rokkenjima), Shapeshifting, Reactive Evolution and Adaptation (All of the higher layers exist on the background of the Sea of Nothingness, and the beings of the higher layers may exists directly within this sea, and they adapt to the pressure due to mental and spiritual evolution), Self-Sustenance (Types 1, 2 and 3), Acausality (Type 5), Immortality (Types 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 8 [Reliant on Ange Ushiromiya]), Regeneration (High-Godly; Even if the entirety of his existence is completely erased and lost to the Sea of Nothingness beyond all layers and stories, he can regain his form just by thinking), Time Manipulation, Spatial Manipulation (Can cut through space and time with his sword), Cosmic Awareness, Fate Manipulation, Fusionism, Causality Manipulation, Plot Manipulation, Probability Manipulation (Kakeras are like books and works of fiction to beings of the Higher Worlds, and by using them to create worlds, the world's events and fate is set in stone. Much stronger than beings who can manipulate the fate, plots, possibilities and space-time of Kakera), Void Manipulation, Conceptual Manipulation (Type 1), Mind Manipulation, and Soul Manipulation (Can manipulate the voids of nothingness of Kakera, as well as it's conceptual, mental and spiritual realms. Lives in the Higher World, where the concepts of fate and possibilities are vizualized in the form of Kakera, which he can manipulate), Quantum Manipulation (Can manipulate the quantum mechanics of the Human Domain), Large Size (Type 11), Law Manipulation (Beings of Higher Worlds can impose rules within their Gameboards, such as Beatrice creating the Anti Magic Toxin rule), Nonexistent Physiology (Type 2; Their essence beyond the physical form is a void that only takes shape when they think about it), Resistance to Soul Manipulation, Mind Manipulation, and Void Manipulation
Attack Potency: Building level (Struck down multiple Theory Goats and is stated to be more powerful than Dlanor A. Knox), Low Macroverse level in the Higher Order World (Should be capable of doing the same feats of Dlanor of traveling to upper layers beyond the space-time of the gameboard and a layer further beyond) | Ascendent level (Exists in the Witch Domain, a higher realm of existence from which the entire Human Domain is regarded as fiction and its inhabitants are seen as pieces laid on a chessboard, their fates and lives merely small fragments which can be manipulated and physically interacted with even by normal humans inhabiting this perspective. This includes structures such as higher dimensions, hierarchies of stories, dreams, and daydreams, and the Underside of the Chessboard, a void of nothingness completely beyond space and time which resides in an unreachable "nowhere" in relation to the entire world of the pieces. Manifested in the Golden Land and fought off the Theory Goats from there. The Golden Land is the highest layer of Beatrice's game board, existing above Purgatorio. Held up all of Beatrice's games and endless worlds and killed Clair, an aspect of Beatrice. Managed to fend off and fight against Bernkastel's Wild Cats)
Speed: Infinite to Immeasurable (Superior to Dlanor) | Irrelevant (Beyond the concepts of time and distance of lower worlds, fought the Theory goats on Beatrice's gameboards, can physically travel to and from higher dimensional worlds, fought Claire in the Cathedral and Bernkastel's cats in the sea of fragments)
Lifting Strength: Superhuman, Immeasurable in the Higher Order World | Irrelevant (Held up all of Beatrice's games in one hand)
Durability: Building level, Low Macroverse level in the Higher Order World | Ascendent level, Ascendent level as part of Ange's world (His existence is sustained by Ange and ensured by her golden truth, thus being completely invulnerable to even attacks coming from the likes of Bernkastel, who failed to kill his despite repeated attempts to deny his existence with the Red Truth)
Stamina: Unknown | Inexhaustible (In the meta-world, physical stamina is irrelevant)
Range: Standard melee range normally, High Macroversal via the Theatergoing Authority (Capable of transporting others to a higher world where other fragments can be visualized) | Ascendental
Standard Equipment: The Black Blade
Intelligence: Will is very intelligent, solving the mystery of Rokkenjima in less than a day. Bernkastel even considered him to be smarter than Battler. He is admired by Dlanor and with her, held back many Theory Goats using Beato's mysteries as aid.
Weaknesses: He has gotten a big desire to save the innocent, even if it puts himself in jeopardy. | If Ange Ushiromiya dies, he will disappear
- Theatergoing Authority: A special authority given to Will by Bernkastel. It allows him to either force another to tell the truth by simply raising his hand or convince them to do another action such as bring another person to them. It's a special authority that's forbidden to be used unless the Senate grants permission.
- The Black Blade: Will's blade has the special power to slice through possibilities, realities, truth, and fiction. With a single slice he can cut an entire world in two and counter Bernkastel's Magic of Miracles.
- The Twenty Wedges: Wedges that represent rules that are enforced by Willard. If there is a violation in one of these rules at the opponent's theory, Willard can invoke one of them to conceptually attack the opponent.
- Truths: Special moves utilized in debates between Witches and Humans taking place in the Meta-World, being statements denoted by specific colors which often manifest as conceptual weapons that directly target the enemy's very existence in an attempt to deny it, and are thus impossible to physically avoid, forcing opponents to counter the attacker's arguments with another truth. As the damage dealt by the Truths is conceptual, rather than strictly physical, they completely bypass conventional durability and allow the user to skewer and even kill opponents much more powerful than themselves
- Red Truth: Irrefutable, objective truth that needs no evidence or proof to demonstrate its validity. In essence, the Red Truth takes an unobserved possibility existing alongside infinitely many and asserts it as the ultimate truth, being capable of completely denying an opponent's existence, body and soul, and sending them to the depths of oblivion without hope of recovery. However, it is impossible to lie (Essentially trying to deny the validity of a wave function that has already been collapsed) using this technique, and one can find gaps, semantic loopholes and different interpretations even in statements spoken in red, potentially allowing them to counterattack with an argument of their own, though the Red Truth itself remains unrefuted.
- Blue Truth: A theoretical scenario made with the purpose of directly denying the enemy's arguments and existence, whose true validity is unclear but nonetheless takes precedence over any statements spoken in basic white text, while being inferior to the Red Truth. It normally assumes the form of several stakes which skewer and impale opponents, damaging them on a conceptual level and being impossible to remove unless their falsehood is directly declared with the Red Truth; otherwise, that which is spoken in blue will be asserted as the truth and grant victory to the attacker, while erasing their opponent's concept entirely.
Key: Human Domain Manifestation | Witch Domain (Meta-World/Golden Land/City of Books)